Case
Studies

PAPUA NEW GUINEA MINE SITE LEADS THE WAY IN HYGIENIC WASTE MANAGEMENT

Hygiene_EnviroLAV Single_UG Insitu_1

Written by Kane Read, Business Development Manager

MineARC’s EnviroLAV Toilet System is making a big impact at the Porgera Joint Venture (PJV)’s Porgera mine in Papua New Guinea. The underground mine has seven of the pneumatic toilets currently on site – four male and female Dual EnviroLAVs and four unisex Standard EnviroLAVs – with two more on order for later this year.

The Porgera Mine purchased its first EnviroLAVs in June 2015, based on recommendations from within the industry. The environmentally friendly nature and ease of maintenance were both seen as major advantages of the EnviroLAV, however the biggest driving factor for PJV was to improve health and hygiene standards across their underground mine. At the time, waste management facilities within the mine were limited.

The Porgera Mine now has seven Standard EnviroLAVs onsite, which are spread throughout the underground mine. The toilets are installed on concrete pads, set at 1meter high for ease of emptying. Their presence on site has meant that the contained waste can be flushed directly into the mine sewage treatment plant, resulting in no more direct handling and transportation of waste to the surface. The solid, robust construction of the toilets has weathered well in the harsh underground environment of the Porgera Mine.

The MineARC EnviroLAV is seeing wide-spread global success due to its significant cost saving and hygienic benefits. Requiring emptying just once every 12 months and with contact between employees and waste matter vastly reduced (compared to conventional latrines), the EnviroLAV is ensuring a cleaner, safer, and more productive working environment for many sites around the world.

The latest addition to the EnviroLAV range is MineARC’s Coal Spec EnviroLAV featuring the same floor size as the Standard EnviroLAV, but with a reduced height for lower seam coal mines. The unit is designed to be intrinsically safe for coal mining applications; featuring a pneumatic operating system that simply requires connection to compressed air. Stay tuned for more information on this new model in the coming months.

envirolav-coal-spec

The Porgera Gold Mine in Enga Province, Papua New Guinea, is operated by Barrick (“Niugini”) Limited – through an equal partnership between Canada’s Barrick Gold Corporation and China’s Zijing Mining Group Company Limited – which owns 95 per cent participating interest in the Porgera Joint Venture (PJV). The remaining 5% is owned by Mineral Resource Enga (MRE) Limited – a consortium consisting of the Enga Provincial Government and the Porgera landowners.

For further information regarding MineARC’s EnviroLAV range, please click here, or email envirolav@minearc.com